Sunday, December 23, 2007

Cookies and Coffee

This is been the weekend of cookies. Caroline and I are having some friends over for a Christmas Eve dinner tomorrow, so this weekend, I was chained to the kitchen. It's been fun. I am really enjoying it. I found some new cookie recipes on the internet (Myrecipes.com), and for the last two days I've been baking up a storm. The first cookie I made was actually a biscotti, cranberry and chocolate chip. I have never made biscotti before so this was a treat. Actually, I've never made any of the cookies I made this weekend. The biscotti turned out pretty yummy. The next cookie I made was pinolli. Caroline found this recipe in some Martha Stewart Magazine called Blueprint, which she will apparently stop publishing some time soon. We had some pinolli at Iggie's Pizza in Mt. Vernon. Mine didn't come out as good, but I was still impressed with myself nonetheless.

I also made two drop cookies - Oatmeal, chocolate chip, pecan and cranberry coconut chews. Neither of my cookies seemed to come out the way they're pictured on the website, but they both taste good. Frankly, I can't see how either of these cookies could be considered "drop" cookies. I thought the dough for both was very crumbly and I had to mold it into cookies before I put it on the baking sheet. However, they taste good and I hope they'll be a hit with the guests. It's really satisfying to try out new recipes. I haven't enjoyed cooking in a long time so it felt good to get back in the kitchen and cook things from scratch.

My other "from scratch" accomplishments for the weekend are cranberry sauce (I grew up eating that jello stuff from the can) and corn bread (to be used for the stuffing). However, what I am most proud of is the chocolate covered strawberries! Yum! Another new experiment for me.

You may be wondering if we're going to prepare any food that isn't dessert. Well, we have a full menu, most of which will be made tomorrow by Caroline, with the exception of the turkey and the stuffing. Caroline is making all the vegetable dishes, of which there are 4 or 5. She's also making yummy savory scones. I'm making the turkey (cross your fingers for me), the stuffing, and kugel. It should be a yummy feast.

And now for topic #2 - Coffee. I'm on a coffee tasting exhibition with our local roast masters, Zeke's. I've switched up my habits a bit. During the week, we set up our coffee to brew in advance of our waking. For this, we use Peet's. They deliver. But on the weekends, I wanted no shortcuts. We grind whole beans right before brewing. So for my whole bean fix, I've been patronizing Zeke's. They do their own roasting and I'm impressed with their selection of organic fairly traded coffees. What I'm even more pleased about is how they package the beans. I mean, they package it like everyone else, BUT they offer a half and half blend. Half regular, half decaf. Let me tell you what a pain in the ass it is to do that yourself at home. Getting two bags of coffee, one regular, one decaf, scooping some from each, etc, etc. It is a real treat. I recently tried their Ethiopian Sumatra and found it just wasn't dark enough for me. Today I broke into a French Roast. I enjoyed it, but I'm still looking for something a little more full bodied. Whatever is the next blend, it's sure to be good. Zeke's has really brightened my weekends. I highly recommend checking out their website or stopping by their store. They also have a great stand at the Waverly Farmers Market on Saturday mornings.

Happy brewing!

No comments: