Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Hello global warming!

Well, today and yesterday have been over 100 degrees here in mobtown. So hot I wouldn't let my cats out to nap on the porch. At the same time, this morning there was some crazy storm in New York which effectively shut down the mass transportation system in one of the most crowded cities in the world. I don't know about you, but I think something fishy is going on here.

Not to mention that Maryland is experiencing one of its worst droughts in history and the governor seeking a drought disaster designation. When I go outside in heat like this, I have to suspect a culprit. Global warming can't be denied! And we are a part of creating this disaster. For example, I work downtown where the heat is at least 5 degrees higher than the rest of the city and the suburbs. The reason is all the freaking cars! And trucks and buses and so on and so forth. It's foul the pollution we all dump into this world.

I've been thinking about this more and more. Especially about what I can do to reduce all the CO2 I'm emitting. Partly because my BGE bill requires me to, and partly because I realize that I can have an effect on the environment, I've been reducing and reusing like crazy. Definitely the reducing part because it saves money. But when I also realized how I could reduce my personal CO2 emissions, I felt even more strongly about turning out the lights and turning off the AC. If we all worked to reduce our CO2, and I mean all, it could really make the difference. There are websites that you can check out to learn all about going green. But remember, you don't have to do it all. Any little change can make a big difference.

It's funny, I was watching a rerun of Oprah yesterday (I know, don't say it) and Al Gore was on giving his slide show. He was doing that part when he goes into the Loews and shows us what to buy to reduce our CO2, and pointing out how cheap it is. Of course it's all relative. For example, he picked up an AC filter which was environmentally friendly and said it costs less than ten bucks. What he doesn't say is that your everyday filter only costs about 50 cents. That's a big difference! Over time we'll save more than we spend, especially if we succeed in keeping the earth habitable, but let's not lie and say these things are completely easy. They're not. But it is worth it and I'm urging everyone to get a little greener.

In the sizzling heat, stay clear of the iced lattes and stick with iced coffee. You don't want dairy in your stomach in 100 degree temps.

No comments: