Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Watch out for McCain!

And this is what I'm saying... McCain is really the only candidate out there we could lose the White House to. Toles demonstrates this perfectly. The same thing is happening in the Republican primary. While Romney and Giuliani have peaks and valleys in their campaigns, McCain stuck it out and is actually winning races. The first year of the campaign, Romney and Giuliani were fighting for the number 1 spot, while McCain's campaign seem to tank before it got started. Months later, voters are showing that they are uninterested in the "unknown" adventures of America's Mayor and his Mormon counterpart. McCain isn't a very exciting guy, but he's always been straightforward. His candidacy is something we should be afraid of.

I'm getting a little nervous, frankly. I figured, just like most people, that Rudy or Mitt would be the Republican candidate. McCain has very little money. I don't know how he's sustaining his candidacy. Actually, once he won in New Hampshire, I'm sure some funds started rolling in. It gives contributors confidence that their money won't go to waste. I'm still enjoying the Republican race, but with Fred dropping out, others will follow. At some point, the Republican party will find their candidate. And that moment is approaching.

Meanwhile, it's getting pretty ugly for the Dems. After Iowa, the most interesting candidates aren't even given the time of day anymore, thereby limiting our choices. Why aren't Kucinich and Gravel and whomever else was running allowed in the debates anymore? It's really unfair and counter to the democratic process. I hope their ideas will make it into the Dem's platform, which is why I'm going to vote for one of them on February 12, Maryland's primary.

If I had to vote for Hillary or Barack, I wouldn't know what I was going to do. I'm really torn. I think their platforms are really close enough in terms of being alike, that either is fine. Where I'm annoyed at Hillary's position on gay rights, I'm equally annoyed at Barack's position on healthcare and social security. I think Barack is truly inspirational and a smart enough guy to have a decent cabinet and staff to support him. I mean Bill Clinton was no genius, but he was a good president in part because of his staff. On the other hand, I think Hillary is very smart and she's been getting a really raw deal as a woman. I don't think Barack has suffered nearly as much criticism for his race (nor should he) as Hillary as suffered for her gender. I'd rather see no criticism for either on those issues, but nonetheless, Hillary has been stabbed by the double edged sword way too much. And the amazing thing is that she's still going strong. That says a lot about her desirability and electability. But I think she lacks the ability to inspire. One could say her campaign is in itself an inspiration, but I think she has to take it further. And that's where Barack is clearly stronger. Not only is his candidacy an inspiration, but he can inspire with words and vision.

The end of the primary season is approaching. Soon we'll know what we're dealing with. I'm still hoping for a Romney/Giuliani win. That will make for a much more entertaining campaign. Let's hope the Republicans don't wise up to McCain's electability.

No comments: