Sunday, March 30, 2008

Here he is!

Jacob Irving was born on February 21, 2008. It's been quite a rollercoster, but Caroline and I are feeling elated and loving life with our new son. Here's the how it all happened.

The Disappointing Ultrasound

On February 11, we had the 3rd trimester ultrasound. We were looking forward to seeing how big Jacob had grown and getting a more specific due date. What we learned was that Jacob was growing a bit too slow for my OB's taste. She put me on bed rest in the hopes that it would help Jacob get the much needed nutrients to grow. She also ordered twice-weekly nonstress tests for the baby.

High Blood Pressure and Spilling Protein, aka Preeclampsia

The following Thursday (February 14), we went to the hospital for a nonstress test. This is a test to show that the baby is moving around normally and his heart rate is strong while in the womb. While I was there, the technicians took my blood pressure and a urine sample. My blood pressure was pretty high and they found protein in my urine which isn't a good thing. Right away, I was sent to Labor & Delivery for monitoring. My OB said I had Preeclampsia. She ordered a 24-hour observation that involved constant blood pressure monitoring and a collection of my urine. Nice way to spend Valentine's Day. I was stuck in an uncomfortable birthing bed and poor Caroline was sleeping on a chair.

I had hoped to be going home from the hospital the next day. I felt fine and I wanted to complete my bed rest at home in a nice comfy bed. My OB had other ideas. Even though she ordered the 24-hour observation, she basically determined I had preeclamsia and I was going to be at the hospital until Jacob was born. He wasn't due for another 5 weeks.

The Hospital Stay

I was moved to the high risk pregnancy area and told to settle in. I was on bed rest with bathroom "privileges," meaning I was allowed to walk myself to the bathroom to pee. Apparently, I was lucky because there are lots of women who are put on bed rest without such privileges.

Let me say first that the staff at the hospital were mostly very nice and compassionate with both myself and Caroline. The high risk unit gets lots of long-term visitors. My days consisted of laying, getting my blood pressure taken every 4 hours, getting my sugar tested twice a day, getting blood taken daily and having my pee collected and tested for urine. The only treatment for preeclamsia is delivery of the baby. I wasn't full-term yet, so we were trying to avoid this. Therefore, my symptoms had to be monitored to make sure my health wasn't in danger. The 3 major symptoms being watched were my blood pressure, the amount of protein in my urine, and my platelet count. Don't ask me what the platelets have to do with anything.

Every day could be the day my son would be delivered.

Time to Nurse

I have to nurse my son now, so stay tuned to part two of the adventure...

1 comment:

Stuart said...

I wait with bated breath...

(I had to google to find the right spelling of "bated")